Village Life and City Life
Introduction: Village life refers to the living condition of the rural people. City life refers to the life of urban people.
There is wide difference between village life and city life. Both the City and the village serve functional purpose in their own way. The village feeds and clothes people and the city provide learning and culture. There is a wide gap between the two in the matter of amenities of life. This gap must be bridged or at least made narrow. The villagers also should enjoy some of the comforts enjoyed by the people living in the cities.
Village Life: Village-life is plain and simple. Here, there is no din and bustle of the city. Everything is calm and quiet. People are in direct touch with nature. Most of their time passes in looking after fields and cattle. They are religious and pious. They devote much of their time to prayer and to signing in praise of God. They enjoy pure air. They get pure and unadulterated food grains, fruits, milk and milk products. They also get fresh vegetables and fruits.
Also read: Village Life: Advantages and Disadvantages of Village Life
The village has many disadvantages, too. There are no good doctors in the village. Therefore, many people die for want of proper treatment. There is much dirt and filth in the village. There is illiteracy also. They are very few libraries. For want of these, people generally remain superstitious. They quarrel among themselves and waste their time in idle gossip.
City Life: City-life is full of glamour and is very fascinating. There are magnificent multi storied buildings, broad roads, shopping malls, multiplexes, electric light, etc. In large cities, there are mills, factories and industries too. All these dazzle the eyes of newcomers to the city. Here, there is novelty in everything. The dress of the people is different, the habits are different, and there is difference in manners and speech also. Even the daily routine of life is different. People spend their evening in a park, a library, a shopping mall, or a cinema hall. From time to time circus, dramatic parties and exhibitions visit the city and provide diversion to the people. Then there are football, tennis and cricket matches, public meetings, speeches by eminent persons, etc. all these are entirely absent in villages. In the midst of all these, the city-people lose their soul. They turn into something like a machine. They exist merely to each and to spend.
Also read: City Life: Essay on advantages and disadvantage of City Life
City life is good only for the rich. Poor people much in the City. They have to live in dirty quarters. They find it difficult to make both ends meet. In spite of these disadvantages, poor people have to live in Cities. The City provides various sources of income. There are a large number of occupations in the City. They provide livelihood for a large number of poor people.
Village Life vs. City Life
A comparative analysis of village life and city life is summarized below:
- In rural villages, there are few streets. The life of rural people revolves around muddy lanes. However, a city consists of many streets and hundreds of houses and buildings.
- In villages, there are few small shops to meet the requirements of the rural people. There are a number of large shops along the main streets of a city.
- There are few motor cars in villages. Most of the rural people travel in rickshaw and/or carts. The use of bicycles at a means of transportation is widespread at villages. Cars and other vehicles pass back and forth throughout day and night.
- There are standalone cinema halls at villages. On the other hand, there are a number of Multiplexes, Cinema halls, Post Offices and other public buildings in cities and towns. Hence, the life of urban people are full of choices for entertainment.
- Our village economy is mainly based on agriculture. There are few cottages industries. Many factories and foundries are to be seen in the outskirts of large cities.
- The air in villages is generally fresh and pollution free. In towns, the smoke from houses, factories, vehicles, makes the air foul and unhealthy.