Short Essay on Newspaper
This short essay on Newspaper is divided into a brief introduction, its classification, advantages, disadvantages and conclusion.
What is a Newspaper? A newspaper is a form of printed media consisting of a number of sheets of printed papers. It contains informative articles on news, education, events, reviews and advertisements.
The newspaper is a necessity in modern life. It is now printed in almost all languages and in all countries of the world.
It gives us news of what is happening in the world. We get various information relating to politics, religion, economy, society, movies, food, etc. from the newspaper.
Formerly newspapers contained only news. But now they contain not only news but also views on various subjects. Thus, now, there are various classes of papers. They can be classified according to the number of times they appear in a year. Some are printed daily, some twice in a week, some weekly, some fortnightly, and some monthly.
Advantages of Newspaper
Newspaper provides us all sorts of information, local, national, and international. We must know about the events that is happening everyday in the fields of politics, civic life, industry, commerce, fashion, sports, scientific achievements, arts and so on. Newspapers serve many purposes. They wield much influence and power.
- They keep us informed of what is happening in other parts of the country and the world. They give us information about the latest inventions, researches, discoveries, etc. and new ideas.
- The traders advertise their goods in the papers. This helps to push up the sale of their goods. Business, in modern times, cannot thrive without advertisement. Thus, newspapers help a good deal in trade.
- They build the nation and also guide the Government of the country. They generally make healthy criticisms of the activities of the Government. They point out its mistakes and set it on the right path.
- The social malpractices are brought to the notice of common people through this medium of communication.
- The news journalists report various incidents. They send accounts of wars and sporting events right from the place of occurrence.
- Newspaper quote inspiring speeches of famous and successful personalities.
The importance of Newspaper can never be denied. They serve as a link between the people and the Government.
Disadvantages of Newspaper
It has been said above that newspapers wield much power and influence. Now, this power can also be abused. In that case, it is capable of doing tremendous harm.
- It may spread communal hatred and foment rebellion or revolt.
- The reader may get deceived by false advertisements that may appear in a newspaper.
- The people at powerful positions may use the newspaper to create fabricated stories to create public opinion in their favor.
- Illiterate people are not able to read newspaper. They have to depend of others to read aloud the contents for them.
Many papers serve a particular interest and give biased views. Therefore, people should not be led away by false news or by the views of particular paper. They should exercise their own judgment and form their own opinion.